Monday, September 6, 2010

How It All Started

Everyone seems to have a different story when it comes to how they got into the Disney parks.  My story dates back to when I was a young child.

As many young kids, I grew up watching Disney films.  My 4th birthday was The Little Mermaid based.  I had a cake with Ariel and Flounder!  By the time I was 8 I was really into Pochohantas.  My birthday present was my whole room being decorated with my new favorite Disney girl.  Fast forward to me being 11 years old and I took a strong liking to Pooh and friends.  It seemed to be the trend.  So, again, my bed spread changed and I slept with Pooh by my side. 

My dad got cancer when I was 5.  I remember that he always said he wanted two things for me.... to get me a pony and get me to Walt Disney World.  I have very few memories of my dad but this wish of my dads stuck in my head.  My dad passed away right before I turned 7... before he ever got to take me to Disney World. 

My mom saved up money for the next 3 years and when I was in the 4th grade we took the trip of a lifetime.  I couldn't believe I was actually seeing THE CASTLE ... IN PERSON!  The whole trip was so memorable and made such an impression on me.  On the plane ride home I remember holding my moms hand crying saying that my wish finally came true and that I was sure that I would die on the plane (no, I'm not kidding... I whole heartedly believed this).  For some reason I was just convinced that God was like, "Your dream came true.  Time to die."  Totally morbid, I know.  But, luckily, the plane didn't crash and we made it home in one piece.

My mom then saved up enough for us to go again when I was 12.  By the time I was 14 my love for Disney World was so strong.  I went on two youth group type trips my freshman and sophomore year of high school to Florida.  While EVERYONE went to Universal Studios (included in the price of the trip), I paid $25 extra to go to Magic Kingdom for one day.  Yeah... just me and a few exchange students that I didn't know.  Ha! 

Since those high school trips I've been to WDW every single year at least once.  I've expanded on my knowledge of the parks and of the company.  It has given me so much joy to learn so much.  I'll probably never find a hobby that I love as much as Disney.  It gives me a feeling that no other place or person can come close to.  When I am at Disney World it's like I am the person that I want to be all of the time.  Even the worst things imagineable somehow don't seem so bad.  It really is the place where dreams can come true.

3 comments:

  1. Is your tongue sticking out in that photo?

    If you have more 'old' WDW photos, you should post some. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep... I was a rebel. :P I think I had a minor meltdown that day if I remember correctly. Cranky about some crap. Haha.

    I will have to gather up my old photos and make a huge album or blog post that includes them. Good idea, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ["When I am at Disney World it's like I am the person that I want to be all of the time."]

    It's so nice to know that I'm not alone in how the Disney Parks affect me. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete