Monday, June 27, 2011

The Future

It's my desire to stay on "Disney target" with this blog but I feel the need to touch on a dash of my personal life as well.  I haven't even signed onto Blogger in a month and I'm really not sure why.  There have been plenty of things to write about.  In fact, I have a list of ideas that I constantly add to.  About a month or so ago, before my husband and I went on vacation to New York, we had a long discussion about moving to Florida.

Since I can remember, moving to Florida has been our goal.  It's my lifelong dream to work at Walt Disney World.  Matt always felt so comfortable in Florida and would constantly say, "I love it here!  I want to move here!"  Though last month I realized that Matt never really brings the subject up... I do.  And I am always the one looking up information on moving to Florida.  Long story short... after a long talk with Matt I discovered that Florida may not be his goal anymore.  Or, at least now right now.

It's a struggle we're facing... not being on the same page.  For me, Disney is a burning passion of mine and I have to be involved with it as much as I can to really feel whole.  I wouldn't have a huge reason to move to Florida if it weren't for WDW and career opportunities there.  But, for Matt, he doesn't really have a reason to be there.  He wouldn't work at Disney and he's not 100% sure of what type of job he'd find down there.  He's fearful that I'd find my niche so easily and he'd be left in the dust wandering around looking for his purpose.

I don't want Matt to pick up his life and move simply because of me.  I want him to want to be in Florida for his own personal reasons as well.  He simply won't be completely happy if he's there just for my needs.

Right now we're trying to find a common ground.  And we're trying to see if he can "come around" to the idea of moving.  What he wants is to find a reason to be there and the ambition to move forward.  I guess I'm just... waiting.  Still.  It sucks but at this point I don't have much of a choice.  Eventually I'll want to get out of Michigan (sooner rather than later) and be happy because I'm just not happy here.

Any of you out there make a major move in your life and relocate to an area that you're unfamiliar with?  Anyone possibly even move to Florida?!  Any advice or support would be seriously appreciated!

7 comments:

  1. I moved to an unfamiliar place with my family as well. We decided we needed a change in our lifestyles and it has worked out for the better. It's a big step but sometimes it open your perspective that there's more to life than just the city/town one has grown up in. Perhaps it is not your husbands desire to move now but try and get him to browse around. Maybe he'll find something he's been missing in his life that will inspire him to make the move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know someone who moved to Florida with the intent to work at WDW. She realized very quickly that to work there, she would have to start in a very low paying job with very bad hours. And it wouldn't be the job she wanted either. It would have been working the food carts or janitorial stuff. So she found something else to do in Orlando instead where she had better hours and made more money.

    What type of work are you looking for at WDW?

    I know someone who was in parades at Disneyland and she loved it.

    I moved to California after only visiting a few times. I moved there for my husband, of course. But from the beginning we knew it would be temporary since I didn't like it. The only think I liked was Disneyland but that just wasn't enough to keep me there. At one point I did consider getting a job there but I didn't want to work nights and weekends since my husband worked normal hours. If I had done that, we never would have seen each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the move to Jill's hometown but there were compromises. I had to be able to stick with my job since I already had a career and didn't want to start over. It was open ended as well meaning we would move if I didn't like it here. I like it here so it all worked out.

    The hardest part about a compromise is that they tend to be one sided. You need to work it out so you're both getting something. Men are typically wired to be supportive and make sacrifices but if he doesn't want to move there will be battles ahead.

    My suggestion would be to keep your house in Michigan and rent it out. Find an inexpensive rental in Florida and give it a year. Disney World is a tough place to make a living unless you're flexible. You'll have to pay your dues and as Jill said you'll most likely be working nights, weekends, and holidays. Food, retail, and custodial positions will afford more hours. You may also want to look into the resorts.

    Best of luck with whatever you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey, there are TONS of career paths he could take. I would suggest he contact someone at Casting and talk with them about career choices. Disney isn't just about the theme parks. It's a completely self sustained organization. Although I know your heart is having a job onstage, there are backstage opportunities that pay extremely well. If he has a degree, odds are that he could land something that he would love. Besides, the perks of being able to go to the parks any day or night for free as a cast member is PRICELESS. Hope you two can work through this. P.S. I Mike's sister and her hubby could give you two great advice since they both are going on 20+ years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacey, check out therelocatedtourist.com. Nice how they talk about being so happy that they followed their heart. They don't work for Disney, but have a network of people who have relocated there and may give you a place to start. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you guys so much! Right now we're in the process of figuring out if we want to rent our house out or sell it. We're moving right along... :) I just want it to be closer to moving time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I realize this was posted months ago but I have only just discovered your blog recently. I know exactly what you are going through... my fiance is in medical school and we will have to relocate in one year to a new city. My ultimate dream, like yours, would be to move to Orlando and work for Disney (doing pretty much anything). Unfortunately, there aren't any residencies appealing to my fiance in Orlando and clearly his career as a doctor is more important than me scooping ice cream at the Disney Parks (hopefully I would find something better than that!). Still... it leaves me wondering when I will get the chance to follow my dream.

    ReplyDelete